6/4/07: The FDA warns consumers to avoid using toothpaste made in China because it may contain a poisonous chemical used in antifreeze - diethylene glycol. Over 40 deaths have already been reported.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Where Art Thou, Lady Luck?

It is approximately 2:30am currently, and I just finished studying for tomorrow morning's Medical and Scientific Terminology exam. The course itself isn't too demanding, however, the exams are abhorrent. Each exam covers roughly 1000 terms, yet, there are only 45 questions on the entire exam, meaning the other 955 words, (their descriptions, significances, repercussions, etc.) that I spent hours of my time memorizing and understanding were basically a waste of my time. The warrant for today's entry, however, isn't to spiel about futile terminologies; instead, a rant on other matters is in order.

Perhaps it's Karma, maybe I'm whiney, or, possibly, I lack the patience and empathy I used to possess -- I don't know. It seems as though Lady Luck has not been on my side as far as randomly selecting a roommate goes. I potlucked for a roommate my sophmore year of college hoping to expand my social circle, I suppose. Not only did I not become friends with my assigned roommate, I actually developed a fear for her. She's one of those... "angry people," as if the entire universe is somehow indebted to her and must yield to her every demand. 90% of her conversations incorporated some form of expletive, items were catapulted against the dormroom wall to express her frustration, tears were shed and conflicts were sprung when her mother couldn't answer a proposed question. The room was always filled with a cloud of alcohol and tobacco scent because she can't rid herself of her repugnant addiction. She always chose to either scream on the phone, watch TV, or invite friends over (sometimes all at once) when I'm in bed. I had a hectic schedule that fall semester with rowing/weight training from 5:30 - 8:30am, 9 - 3:30pm classes, and 5 - 9pm rowing practice, leaving little time for a nice sleep. She had to ruin the little time I had with her erratic behavior. It's not that I didn't make an effort to be her friend, either. My attempts were often reciprocated with a shrug, glare, or silence.

Come the end of November, I simply couldn't accept that environment anymore, so I filed for a room-change. My new roommate, who ironically has the same first name as my former roommate, is one of those... "vain people." High shrieks of laughter, southern accent, continuous phoning, multiple pairs of shoes of the same style but in every possible color, no sense of "quiet," indignancy, narrow-mindedness, unrealistic sense of self-worth, overly dramatic, and lack of courtesy pretty much describes the aura she exudes. Supposedly, the world revolves around her and her problems, whereby everyone should drop their current tasks in order to resolve her paramount issues. Additionally, she brings paranoia upon herself by over-analyzing the most insignificant elements and forces others to do so as well. She constantly pressures others to provide her with advice, yet, never applies any of them. Analogously, she's a Hummer running on an alkaline battery -- She instantaneously drains the energy shamelessly and directly out of me.

I suppose certain aspects of my life have transformed me into a person who's less empathetic, patient, altruistic, and (in general) nice. I used to be regarded as being "too nice" to a point of unbelievable generosity. I hold a different perspective now -- Help what and when you can, but don't push yourself over the edge. You need enough energy for yourself first before you are capable of truly assisting someone else.

Good night, all.

No comments: